Saturday, February 12, 2011

Definitely Vintage Inspired

These Little Spring Chicks
Were Inspired by....


These sweet Made In Japan Vintage Chicks
that I spotted and fell in love
with on E-bay the other night....
And with my budget being what it is
right now and just knowing
there was no way I could justify
being the highest bidder.

I thought well come on Diane you could make
them our at least give it a good try...


So last night late (around midnight) I sat in my studio
and thought just how could I make
the egg....


I had this Egg carton on the shelf ...
Yeah I know what your thinking
what the heck do I have an egg carton 
hanging around for?  Well really they do come
in handy when I dust a bird with glitter
I use it to mount it on to dry.. so thats why..
Anyway I just started to tear
at it then cut at it and give it the look
of a cracked paper egg.


And then I got out the paint and gave them
a quick paint job!
Outside and inside....


Now for the base instead of cutting
paper circles I used some poker chips...
Are you still with me?


And I gave those a quick coat of paint


Well then I did a whole bunch of other stuff.  
Like make dinner do the dishes, help my husband find 
a tool he was looking for, until tonight I got back into
the Studio and brushed them
with a thin coat of white glue
and then sprinkles of Glitter!


I then glued on the Base 
added some paper easter grass
and then placed the embellished chicks
in their nests...


And there you have it
Totally Vintage Inspired...
And I used everything I already had in my
Supply Stash... Cute aren't they?
Hugs, 

25 comments:

janjan said...

What a lovely idea, so cute and yours look so good. Can I borrow the idea to make some with my grandgirls.

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

OMG. These are soooo cute. Easter decorations are fun. The colors are also the best.
I can see these little chickies done out of pom poms too.
Have a great weekend, Sue

Queenie said...

Those are darling Diane! How fun that you could use things you already had too...well honey I hate to break it to ya, but yours are even cuter than the ones that inspired you! You did such a great job, and Yep, I agree egg cartons are great to save. I've got 3 that I've been stashing...thanks girl...I think I know what I can use them for now! It's hard to believe that Easter is right around the corner...It'll be here before we know it :)
Big hugs,
Queenie

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Yours are even cuter than the ones you first spied! Just adorable! Hmmm...poker chips!

Nan said...

Oh these are darling and I could even try to make some. So sweet thanks Nan.

Holiday Sparkle - Cyndi LaChance said...

Adorable Diane!!! OMG, I so want to do these with my daughter...she would have so much fun.....and I think yours are even cuter than the vintage ones.

Thanks for sharing!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

they are adorable!

SparkleFarkle said...

Three words:
A Dor Able!

Happy Valentine's Day!
Luv-hugs and smoochies,
SparkleFarkle

P.S. Can't wait until the Peep! Peep! Peep! of springtime gets here. Thanks for this wonderful preview of good things to come!

NanE said...

Diane, these are just the cutest! Thanks for taking the time to show us how you made them. Easter is late this year so maybe I will actually try to make some myself. Have a Happy Valentines Day, Nan

A Vintage Chic said...

So adorable, Diane! Love your can-do attitude, my friend!

Thanks for sharing your creative process...hope your weekend is wonderful!

Julie

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

You are so crafty!
Yours are even better than the ones on ebay! Great job!!!

xo

bluemuf said...

Wow... you did a fantastic job recreating these vintage chicks.

Thank you for sharing

Karen

Sandy said...

Diana,
These are so cute and thank you for the tutorial!!!!! Great Easter favors at the table! :) Sandy

birdie blue said...

a d o r a b l e, diana! love those little chicks!

xo
~molly

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Happy Valentine's Day!!!
YES, your little chicks are very CUTE!!! Egg cartons are very handy to have around!
I sure hear you about $$$. No closings on the books. Hubby has a buyer, just need to find something for her. Houses are cheap and go quickly.
Things will turn around..keep believing!
Warmly,
deb

Nancy said...

Totally cute!! Thanks for sharing the little tutorial. Happy Valentine's Day.
XO Nancy

Creative Breathing said...

Happy Valentine's Day Diane! Thank you again so much for your very special Valentine. I absolutely adore it and am so privileged to have it. I wanted to tell you how wonderful it is you are offering the digital collage sheets in your shop. For inspiration I only need to take a peek here. I will definitely be making these cute chick cups. They look just like the vintage ones, only cuter! Elizabeth

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

These "peeps" are precious!!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

patty said...

Hi Diane,
How cute. i love this idea, you made them perfectly! Thanks for sharing how you did it. Would love to make them myself. I hope you have a happy Valentine's day filled with love.
Patty

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Cute!!! Now I'll have to dig out my egg carton from the trash can. Thanks! :)

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Oh, those are every bit as sweet as the originals!

Nan said...

Diane I ended up going by your tutorial and making my own. They were so fun I posted about them on my blog which will post Tue morning. You know yours are so much better than the Japanese ones!!

Lori said...

Diane
Well how darn cute!!!!!! Sometimes if we stop a minute, the thoughts come! I think they are adorable! Talk to you soon, Lori

Scrap for Joy said...

These little egg cups are so cute...teh perfect thing for place settings at the table. Yours are much nicer (and better made!) than the Japanese ones. Thanks for sharing your directions. My husband saves the cardboard egg cartons to burn in the fireplace but now I'll snag one to use for these!
Joyce

Marilou of Lulu's Lovlies and Heartful Creations said...

Very cute idea, I have been saving my egg cartons for a little different style so we must all be thinking along the same lines, have fun creating! Hugs marilou