Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Vintage Linens Amazing Hand Stitching

Hand-Stitched embroidery is one of the oldest
ways to decorate all types of Textiles


Many pieces were Family Heirlooms before they
became collector items~









When you think about it, the handkerchief is a fascinating object—a delicate response to one of the decidedly indelicate aspects of being human. Throughout history it has been considered both an old-fashioned and unhygienic rag, as well as a precisely embroidered symbol of high social standing.



 A handkerchief, it was thought, could contain the magical powers of the user’s tears, and was considered a physical extension of someone’s spiritual being. 

After centuries of popularity, the handkerchief fell out of favor in the 1930's, when paper manufacturer Kimberly-Clark began marketing its Kleenex-brand tissue as a more sanitary means of nose-wiping. 


I have been wondering what kind of Handi-work
we have today that will be treasured
and kept in safe keeping for generations~

Any Ideas?





7 comments:

Heidi Ann said...

I don't have any ideas, but I really enjoyed seeing all of these wonderful vintage examples!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I've seen beautiful banners made with linen like you have shown...you can always check the internet for ideas.
warmly,
deb

Laurie Duncan said...

Beautiful hankies in such pretty colors! :)

Charlotte Huffman said...

My mother used to have these dresser scarfs on every table. I buy all I find at yard sales.

Dorothy Crutchfield said...

I love to collect the table scarves and pillowcases too. My mother and grandmother would sit for hours embroidering. Your little lamb pillowcases are adorable!

Margaret said...

So beautiful. My grandmothers and my Mom did that lovely work and my Mom just recently stopped due to arthritis. I treasure it all and when I see items at estate and garage sales like that I always purchase. Those items are priceless. I don't have ideas for what will be treasured in the future. I always admired hand made quilts too. Maggie

Curtains in My Tree said...

I remember the days of pretty hankies
My grandmother didn't have real pretty ones however I remember my Grandpa always had a plain white man's hankie in his pocket , I liked to iron them when I was a kid .

Then where I was about 40 I collected all the pretty ones